Tags

Well sometimes it is the same as a sticks and bricks, you have to do some routine maintenance from time to time.  And when you are in a remote area, it is a good thing to be able to deal with many of the maintenance issues that come up on your own.  That is after a bit of consulting with a variety of sources.  Here is the deal:

image

The old faucet

The old kitchen faucet had become filled up with calcium around the outside parts.  The head would no longer swivel from side to side and was stuck pointed to the left side sink.  The allen nut holding the handle on was seized in place and would not budge.  Tried to clean it up best I could but without taking it apart which I could not do, there was no luck in breaking it free.  Rather than continuing to mess with it, I searched our trusty source for almost everything we need to get, AMAZON.

 

Amazon really does have just about anything you can imagine and finding it there can be so much easier than driving all over town looking at the various stores and still not finding what you want/need.  It’s easy, find it, order it and if you have a PRIME membership, two days later you have it with no shipping cost.  It’s a great deal and we would not be without it.

imageimage

image

Anyway, when the new faucet arrived, I removed the old one, kind of a tight fit under the sink and between the center island.

image

Kind of tight, I took a break Rhonda helped.

Took the panel out to gain greater access and traded places with Rhonda for some of the work.  We make a good team most of the time!  She had to feed the flex hose back up through the same hole it came down through so I could make the connection top side (easier than doing that from below on your back!!).

image

Connecting the pull out flex hose

Well before we knew it the project was done and we had everything back together.  No leaks and all looked good.  But when we turned on the water, no pressure, very slow flow.  Hummmm, this is not good.

image

Well I was a bit perplexed and it was getting late in the day.  After a bit of Southern Comfort just to get the good thinkin’ started, I got on line and posted the situation on a few of the RV related Facebook pages.  I also sent an email to my very trusted Mobile RV tech Doug Garnett back in Kentucky.  Before long there were a bunch of responses and a few folks really understood the problem and had prior experience.  They turned out to be right.

Diagnosing the problem:

The only thing that had changed was the kitchen faucet.  The other three inside faucets remained unchanged and had good flow/pressure.

For clarity I should say here that unlike many other folks we ALWAYS use the fresh water tank and NEVER connect to city water.  That is a whole discussion in it’s self but the point here is that we are using the 12 volt pump.  The pump is the stock 45 PSI with 2.8 GPM of flow.

imageimage

Back to the story, low pressure at the new kitchen faucet.  When the valve was fully open the pump would cycle with a four second delay.  The pump is designed to switch off when pressure is built to a point that the sensor ‘thinks’ there is no longer demand or in other words no valve is open.  This cycling did not occur when any other faucet was full on only the new kitchen faucet.

There seemed to be a growing consensus that a restrictor was in line somewhere and removing it would result in ‘normal’ flow.  Many faucets have an aerator that includes some sort of flow restrictor so I switched out the new head for the old one since the old one was working fine there was no difference NADA, no change.  That eliminated the aerator in the head of the faucet.  Doug Garnett and a couple of folks on Facebook said it would be on the end of the flex hose that was closest to the supply.  The end opposite of the pull out head.

That meant I would have to take it all apart to get to it.  Way too much trouble getting under that sink on my back making and breaking those connections.  A bunch easier from top side.  So that is what we did.

image

Unrestricted

Well sure enough there it was.  A little spring loaded check valve of sorts.  Just enough to stop the flow and cause the pump to cycle on and off for a long four second delay resulting in very slow water flow.

With a pair of needle nose pliers I pulled out the little plastic trouble maker and we are now back in business.

imageimage

Back in the water business.

Hope this helps someone sometime.  I wish I had known before I put it together the first time!!

Thanks Doug and everyone else for the good input on finding the problem.